Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Conditioner Addict Anonymous


I am a conditioner addict. I use too much conditioner after I shampoo and even on the days I don’t shampoo…I don’t do any conditioner only wash, my hair is at its best with silicone, a lot a silicone.  Needless to say I buy a lot of conditioner, in fact everytime I go shopping I look for another conditioner to buy…unfortunately not all brands works with my hair. Here is why…

I have low 2b wavy Low Porosity hair.  That is when I do the porosity test (simply put a strand of your freshly clean hair on a cup or water or something) my hair floats forever. Which means two things:  1. my hair doesn’t need additional protein 2. my hair can hardly hold moisture. 

 

So protein based conditioners are pointless. Although I currently have a sauve matrix line protein conditioner which I use like once every blue moon. Also most deep conditioning treatment is mostly protein-rich so I try to find something which is rather hydrating not a protein-treatment. So I am currently using L’oreal Hair Spa which works fine.

Back to the Porosity factor, since my hair can not hold much moisture on its own, adding some kind of sealing agents is important so that my hair doesn’t look dry/frizzy and is in its optimal condition.  After trying a lot of different conditioner, I settled for Dove Nourshing Oil control series because it has added oil which helps to seal the water to some extent. I’m really partial to the whole brand and try a lot of different dove conditioners (currently also using moisturizing and hair fall ones). All of them gave me satisfactory results.

So, I also have Pantene curly hair series curl to straight conditioner which makes my wavy hair straighter without heat or anything.

I use some lightweight conditioner like VO5 for the days I wont use shampoo. I shampoo 2-3 times every week and condition everyday thus the lightweight conditioners, which will not cause built up in-between the shampoo.

Here is one of my secret, because of the moisture situation, I usually to add a bit of honey with conditioner everytime I condition my hair, may that be a regular after shampoo conditioner, treatment conditioner, deep conditioner or even hot oil treatment. Always. Add. Honey. It helps to retain moisture, makes my hair really soft and keeps frizz at bay. I have longhaircommunity to thank for the tip. Whatever your hair type/condition/ porosity level etc is, it does amazing stuff for your hair. Try it :)

Visit facebook fore more comments Justifying Shopaholism

0 comments: