Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Body ShopVitamin E Overnight Serum-in-Oil : A Review

Another month another review, this time its The Body Shop Vitamin E Overnight Serum-in-Oil.


 I got this serum about 2-3 weeks now and used it on and off every 2-3 days therefore taking my sweet time to finally come with a review. Another thing to reflect on was, this is my first serum which wasn't homemade, before it all I have used is DIY vit e serum or simply some almond/grapeseed/vit e oil during the colder months, which are just, regular oil, so yes, at first I was BLOWN AWAY by this Serum-in-Oil which wasn't like any oil at all!!! Really!! In my extremely extremely oily skin, it sinks in like magic leaving no residue whatsoever and moitsurizes the hell out of my skin.

According to Body Shop, it does other things too
Wake up to beautiful skin with new Vitamin E Overnight Serum-In-Oil, a technical innovation combining the power of a serum and oil to indulge, replenish and recharge skin with moisture overnight.
8h beauty sleep for your skin
Skin feels recharged, replenished and softer
Skin looks fresher, rested and more radiant
Our highest concentration of wheatgerm oil
Non-greasy, fast-absorbing formula
Infact its the 8h beauty sleep for your skin which caught my eyes, if you know me, you know I am a night owl and most nights I get only 4-6 hours of sleep at best.
Although, here is where thing gets tricky, other than moisturizing, I am not sure what else the serum does, it certainly does not make up for the lack of sleep. If I dont get enough sleep, I end up with really bad under-eye circles, which isn't a serum's job anyway. As for skin looking fresher, rested and more radiant, it is an overnight product and waking up from sleep, even for a few hours, has the same affect on me with or without the product.
Please notice I have really really oily skin, I can totally skip moisturizer and my face wont feel a thing.  The only time my skin feels a little dry is immediately after Retin-A and that is when I use this serum. Otherwise, over-moisturizing might even break me out. I wish I had got this during the winter, would be so much better..
Now, this product comes in Bodyshop's regular vit e range pink. Tiny plastic container with a dropper. Its only 28 ml and costs £12.00 although I got it for 40% off. The oil itself is clear and watery. It has very strong typical vit-e scent. The dropper is sturdy and disposes big drops of the liquid, 2-3 drops are enough for my face and neck. Since I dont use it regularly, this will last me for a while.
The packaging also has some info and instruction leaflets which unfolds. Basically the instruction just says "Massage into skin before bed to replenish and recharge moisture overnight". According to Bodyshop site "Apply a few drops in the palm of your hands and gently rub together to warm. Apply on the face and the neck with a gentle patting motion. Using fingertips, massage in small circular movements over forehead, cheeks, around mouth and chin area."
Ofcourse, being too lazy as I am, I just apply it as a cream and be done with it. Like I said, I use it with a light hand every few days after 1 hour of application of retin-a and massaging my face after retin-a may irritate the skin.
Although the regular practice is to use a overnight serum after washing your face at night and before moisturizer but I think you wont need any moisturizer after this, even the normal/dry skin people, during summer.


Sorry for the bad quality pic, the leaflet is too small and too unstable, here are the complete list of ingredient from the Bodyshop site
 Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Emollient), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Triticum Vulgare Germ Oil/Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil (Emollient), Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis Oil/Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), Sesamum Indicum Seed Oil/Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil (Skin-Conditioning Agent), Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil/Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Glycine Soja Oil/Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Tocopheryl Acetate (Antioxidant), Benzyl Benzoate (Fragrance Ingredient), Geraniol (Fragrance Ingredient), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Citronellol (Fragrance Ingredient), Benzyl Salicylate (Fragrance Ingredient), Eugenol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citral (Fragrance Ingredient), Anisyl Alcohol (Fragrance Ingredient), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster).
Can you see the amount of perfumes in this thing? That will be another negetive side of this product. By principle, a serum shouldn't contain any perfume. People with sensitive skin should totally stay away from it.
But if you have normal-to-dry skin which is not very sensitive (specially if its used to Bodyshop's Vit E range, its the same scent), you should most definitely try it. And not just for nighttime. I used this as a moisturizer underneath primer for foundation on my sister's extremely dry skin and it was perfect. No dry patch and not oily at all.
So yes, all in all, I am not terribly impressed with the product after the initial oh-my-God-it-sinks-like-magic moment. I will repurchase it because I will rather use this than any other moisturizer (the heavier product that can moisturize my skin this well, are, well, heavy and the lighter products are not this good) but only because I use retin-A and which makes my skin temporarily dry, otherwise I would definitely not recommend to people with oily skin during the hot summer seasons.
During winter though,or if you live in the colder temperature, or if you have not-so-sensitive normal to dry skin, do try it, you will probably love it. Let me know how it goes. If any of the readers have already used it, love to know your opinions as well. Drop a comment or question whatever.
Thanks for reading ^_^
Visit facebook fore more comments Justifying Shopaholism

0 comments: